A fire outbreak at the Kaysens Gas Refilling station at Community 2, opposite the Tema Harbour, has left one attendant injured.

The incident reportedly occurred last Friday, February 25, 2022.

The inferno could have caused the disaster at the station and spread to adjoining houses to the facility but the swiftness of other attendants saved the situation.

Speaking to the Deputy Commander of the Tema Regional Fire Service, DO1 Timothy Osafo Affum, he said the fire service personnel rushed to the scene immediately after they received the information.

However, by the time they would arrive at the scene, the attendant had been able to calm the situation.

According to him, one of the attendants was injured when the fire occurred.

Explaining the circumstances which resulted in the fire outbreak, he told energynewsafrica.com that a customer went to the facility with an oxygen cylinder (oxygen cylinder is used at the hospitals) to fill it with LPG for domestic use.

He said an attendant’s blunder in fixing the wrong adaptor to discharge the gas into the oxygen cylinder to refill it sparked the fire.

He continued that staff of the facility, who saw the fire, quickly switch off the flow meter thereby cutting the flow of the gas.

The immediate action of the staff prevented the fire from spreading.

DO1 Timothy Affum, who blamed the attendant for the fire outbreak, however, commended them for their swift action in saving the situation.

“In the first place, we blame them for fixing the adaptor which is not meant for the oxygen cylinder. In the second instance, we commend them for their swift response,” he said.

He advised LPG users to desist from using oxygen cylinders as LPG cylinders for domestic use and warned attendants at LPG refilling stations to desist from discharging LPG into oxygen cylinders.

 

 

 

Source: https://energynewsafrica.com

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here