MiDA's Press Corps being conducted around the ongoing Pokuase Bulk Supply Point

The Spanish energy firm, Elecnor S.A, which is working on the 330kV Bulk Supply Point at Pokuase in the Greater Accra Region of the Republic of Ghana has assured the state of completing the project on schedule and handing it over to the Ghanaian authorities for commissioning in May 2021.

The project is currently about 87 per cent complete with the remaining 13 per cent expected to be completed in the next few months.

The US$50 million project, when completed, would boost power supply to about 350,000 people in Accra especially those in Pokuase, Nsawam, Kwabenya, Legon, Oyibi, Adenta and others.

The BSP, which is the first project under the Ghana Power II, spearheaded by the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC), through the Millennium Development Authority, has Control Room for Ghana’s transmission company, GRIDCo, with Electricity Company of Ghana also having Switchgear office in it.

Speaking to energynewsafrica.com on Thursday, December 3, 2020, when Millennium Development Authority paid a working visit with its press corps, Country Manager of Elecnor S.A, Mateo Perez Camino said the project is on course.

Mateo Perez Camino(left), Country Manager of Elecnor S.A

He was confident that the project would be completed as planned in the first quarter of 2021.

He said so far, about 250 Ghanaians have been employed, representing 95 per cent of the workforce in compliance with the local content regulation.

He also disclosed that about U.S$10million worth contracts have so far been awarded to Ghanaian sub-contractors, including monies spent on fixing streetlights in the area and putting roads connecting the facility in shape.

He mentioned that as part of the company’s Corporate Social Responsibility, they plan to asphalt the roads around the facility and also create greenbelt zone to beautify the area.

The Project Manager for Pokuase Bulk Supply Point (BSP), Patrick Oppong, responding to questions as to why despite the Coronavirus pandemic, the project had progressed, said they made sure that all the Covid-19 protocols were put in place to ensure that all workers were safe to continue the project.

Patrick Oppong, Project Manager for Pokuase BSP

Ghana: Renewable Energy PPAs With Total Capacity Of 2,265MW Reduced To 515MW-Amewu

He said at a point, they made a case to the office of the President for special dispensation to be given to them to allow for movement of equipment and flying in of some expatriates to the project site for specific jobs to be done and return when they finish.

He added that they also hired buses to convey workers to and fro to avoid boarding public transport to protect them against Covid-19.

He said MiDA is committed to ensuring that the project was completed on schedule, noting that Ghanaians are awaiting for it.

Upon completion, the Pokuase BSP, which has a capacity of 580MVA, will be the biggest bulk supply station in the country.

Source: www.energynewsafrica.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here