The Managing Director of the Electricity Company of Ghana, Kwame Agyeman-Budu has assured electricity consumers in the West African nation that his outfit will fully implement the President’s directive.
The power distribution company’s MD gave the assurance in a short video sighted by energynewsafrica.com.
“We will ensure that electricity bills of all lifeline persons who consume zero to 50 kilowatt/hour a month will be fully absorbed by the government.
“Non-lifeline prepaid and post-paid customers (residential and commercial) will enjoy the 50 percent relief on their electricity consumptions in April, May and June using their March 2020 consumption as the benchmark,” Mr Agyeman-Budu said.
He said these reliefs will be fully implemented from May 1, 2020.
His Excellency President Nana Akufo-Addo, President of Ghana, last week, announced that the government would fully absorb the bills of all lifeline consumers and 50 percent rebate for commercial electricity consumers for three months.
The three months’ free electricity is expected to cost the government about GH¢1.04 billion.
The move is part of measures being introduced by the government to mitigate the impact of the Coronavirus on Ghanaians.
Commenting on the interventions by the government to address the spread of the Coronavirus, Mr Agyeman-Budu stressed the need for Ghanaians to observe social distancing and practise hand washing with soap under running water.
He, finally, urged Ghanaians to respect the restrictions order by staying at home.